Pages

So tell me whatcha looking for?

Sunday, September 16, 2012

JOE HISAISHI (久石 譲)- THE PATH OF WIND (風のとおり道 / KAZE NO TOORIMICHI)

Joe Hisaishi, is a composer and director known for over 100 film scores and solo albums dating back to 1981. He is best known for his work with animator Hayao Miyazaki, having composed scores for many of his films including Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984), Castle in the Sky (1986), My Neighbor Totoro (1988), Kiki's Delivery Service (1989), Porco Rosso (1992), Princess Mononoke (1997), Spirited Away (2001), Howl's Moving Castle (2004) and Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (2008).

This piece, 'The Path of Wind' which I wish to introduce to everyone is from the soundtrack of My Neighbor Totoro (となりのトトロ). There's just something really magical about this arrangement. I came across it randomly as I was searching for the soundtrack of Spirited Away (千と千尋の神隠し), whose film score was also composed and conducted by Joe Hisaishi. In short, he's a musical genius. Being able to breathe life into the notes coming from his piano alongside the most perfect accompaniment of cello sounds, this is more than just a song.
It's perfection in itself.

The first time I watched Joe Hisaishi performing this song (video attached below), I just froze. Its melody carried my mind along with it into the wind, allowing me to visit places I've never been and from there, it became clear that the music was simply trying to tell a story. I was so absorbed in his music that I unknowingly had tears flowing down my cheeks. The story, the melody and the harmony was poignant in every way. From soft keys of uncertainty to the flawless blending of melancholic sounds from the cello, I was sure that this was love. The unbelievable teamwork of both Joe Hisaishi and the cellist allowed the song to flow smoothly without awkward gaps or pauses. During the entire time, they were both possessed.
Possessed by the music that spoke through their fingers.

It's just amazing how I felt so much emotions in the span of one song. Confusion, joy, pain, doubt, distress, fear, love and last but not least, hope. It's definitely music that transcends generations and speaks for itself. Nothing I say here can truly describe how beautiful this piece is and how much it moved me inside.

I hope that you'll be able to see what I see.
Enjoy.



*Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutttttssss!* :)

No comments:

Post a Comment